Friday, October 28, 2011

Who is in control?

Imagine you and your husband are in the army. He is taken captive with 4 other men. You have the opportunity to save their lives and get information for the army. You have to make a sacrifice for this though. You must sleep with the leader in order for this freedom and information. You are about eighty percent sure if you make this choice that your husband and other soldiers will be spared.

Would you do it?

In Christian beliefs class the other day we talked about this concept. In the Ten Commandments, it is written that it is a sin to commit adultery. If I was the wife, I'd have to say no because my obligation to my God is stronger than my obligation to my husband or my country. Some say, what if if was God's will? God's will never leads one to sin.

1 Corinthians 10:13 says, "No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it"

God will always provide a way out. Even if the result is something we least desire.

Some in class would disagree with this saying "But I could have saved him!" This concerns me. Who are you believing to be in control? I'd rather say "But God could have saved him!"

I've been thinking a lot about control lately too. I've been hurt a lot lately with something people are trying to control. I am doing what I feel the Lord is leading me to, but it is causing a lot of issues. These people say they are trying to do what they are doing to help me and because they love me, but I don't see them going about this in prayer. I see them trying to fix something. I know they just want to help, but I'm not seeing prayerful attitudes. Instead I'm seeing attitudes of gossip.

A lot of people would agree with me that it is wrong to gossip. They see how it's hurtful, but they also say it's okay at times, if it's in order to help someone. I know there are times to step in. I get that, but I just want to challenge you (and myself) before you gossip about someone, ask if you are telling someone as a real act of desperation for help or if it is to help you to feel better about a situation. If it really is an act of desperation, are you spending time praying and in the word before confrontation? Are you doing something about it? Or are you just trying to be heard? Are you just trying to feel better about yourself and seeking affirmation?

Proverbs 11:12-13
Whoever derides their neighbor has no sense, but the one who has understanding holds their tongue. A gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy person keeps a secret.

Chew on this with me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment