Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Approved.

Looking around on campus today, I've been paying attention to what I can tell about a person by the way he or she dresses, or sits, or talks. It's interesting to me that I see a common theme. Most of these people seemed to be doing what they were doing due to the response he or she received from others.

We tried an experiment in my science class today. In psychology last year we were told about a study about confidence. In a classroom, students were told to pay attention and engage in class when the teacher was standing on the left side of the room but to ignore the teacher and seem distracted on the right side. The teacher showed discomfort by speaking and standing nervously when he was standing on the right side of the class. The class conditioned him to stand on the left side...A couple guys in my class were intrigued by this study, so we have been trying this in science this week, just to make the class a little more interesting. It's pretty crazy to see what the approval of people does for one's self-esteem.

I started thinking about this today. How often do we spend time throughout the day seeking to please a parent, a best friend, or even a total stranger?

Yes, having a parent, a friend, or a stranger's approval can be appropriate at times. (This is why I don't go streaking or anything. That wouldn't exactly be socially acceptable or respectful). I know there's times when it is appropriate to apologize to people for things (like when you have wronged them, or when you need to mature- which ends up being an action that actually glorifies God), but I'm done apologizing to people for being me. I'm not going to stop wearing my sock monkey cap, even if it makes me look like a little kid, because I like it. I am not going to stop writing a blog, because I sound like a rambler to someone, because I find fulfillment in using this gift God has given me. I am not going to apologize for holding more conservative views than others on things, like not taking God's name in vain, because I do this out of respect and love for Him. I do this because I don't like His name associated with negative or even degrading things.

Now, there is a warning against becoming prideful here. The world tells us to be ourselves and not apologize. The world also approves of selfishness. They advise one to seek his feelings or desires. If we acted to this extreme, we wouldn't be furthering the Kingdom of God.

God's word says:
"Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ". -Galations 1:10

Chew on this with me today as I think about how to use the gifts God has given me, in ways that bring glory to Him and Him alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment