Wednesday, October 26, 2011

God is good.

Okay I just found this on my computer. It's something I wrote about a year ago and just had to put up here:


When I read Genesis 12: 3, which says, “I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you” I thought a lot about what this means to have God’s blessing. I thought about God blessing in a financial sense and as a provider, but I think it means more than that. Everything is a gift from Christ, so that we may glorify Him. This blessing is supposed to be a comfort and a reminder that what we have is not really ours, but God’s. When we hurt one another He will not be pleased, but when we give ourselves to Him, He allows us to bless others and bring joy to their lives through us. This blessing isn’t about trying to get God on “our own side” as we often do when we fight with a friend or go through a break up. God blesses us so we can bless others, rather than hurting them even when we are wronged. Genesis 5:1 talks about being made in the likeness of God. This might mean we are made looking like Him in a physical sense, but more importantly made to be “like Christ”. We seek to be like Him so we can bring His love to others, not out of bitterness or conceit to trying to get God to be against others. His blessings are perfect and as we humble ourselves to Him, we can bring His love and blessing to other people’s lives.

Furthermore, if you only view God as good when you get what you want then you’re really just viewing yourself as good. You seek to gratify your desires and when you don’t get what you want you blame God. Where is your faith? Who are you believing to be good? What does good mean anymore?

God is good. Good, which means true goodness. He is good all the time. He is not “Mother Teresa good”. He is greater. "The Lord is good, a Strength and Stronghold in the day of trouble; He knows (recognizes, has knowledge of, and understands) those who take refuge and trust in Him. Nahum 1:7 (AMP)" He is good because He made, made again, and makes new. He is a solid rock ("He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress where I will not be shaken" Psalm 62:6). He is good because He never changes. He is good because even when we think we deserve exactly what we want, He does not force us to trust Him or love Him. God is good: all the time. Even when it is beyond comprehension.

No comments:

Post a Comment