Friday, February 10, 2012

Your mercies are new every morning, and how I need them, Oh Lord.

"Dear God, Sometimes I think about you even when I'm not praying"
What a simple but beautiful prayer from a child.

I say simple because God calls each and every one of us to be in relationship with Him. He desires the simplicity of our need for Him.

I know I struggle with this. I get so stuck on being able to do everything on my own. I can pop a microwave pizza in the oven and it's done in two minutes. I can grab a to-go cup of coffee to replenish my energy for an extra busy day. I can walk to class or ride my bike if I want to get there quicker. I can. I can. I can.

But what about the day I loose my ability to use my arms. What about the day I cannot lift a glass on my own. Then I'm really dependent on something. I'm dependent on others.

Using my arms, riding my bike, and using my business skills at work are not things I stumbled upon and discovered on my own. They are my aptitudes, my natural abilities. I did not create them.

God gives me strengths; He wants to enhance them for His glory. I have weaknesses; God wants my submission for His glory.

Talking with one of my favorite professors today made me realize God's deep desire to use every skill He has given me to further advance His kingdom. When I started going to the tiny Christian school that I attend, I thought I wanted to be in leadership. I wanted to be chosen as class president, RA, the best small group leader... But I was so focused on my own advancement. This year I've seen the negative effects of individuals in leadership who view themselves as more significant than those they are supposed to be leading. That's sad.

My role is a friend. My role is a prayer supporter. I'm called behind the scenes. It's then that I am able to say "To God Alone be the Glory".

A leader is a humble person.

Humility is submitting to the Lord's will, submitting to actions that will advance the kingdom of God. Humility is using strengths to support others. Humility is submitting weakness to God, allowing Him to work through you.

I need His mercy.

I need His mercy to strengthen my downfalls, to grow my strengths, to change my heart every single day and point it to Him.

Psalm 123
I lift my eyes to you, to you who sit enthroned in heaven.
As the eyes of slaves look to the hand of their master, as the eyes of a female slave look to the hand of her mistress, so our eyes look to the Lord our God, till he shows us His mercy.
Have mercy on us, Lord have mercy, for we have endured no end of contempt.
We have endured no end of ridicule from the arrogant of contempt from the proud.


Great is Thy Faithfulness

I need Thee every hour

And He is capable of giving mercy.

Matthew 6:25-27
Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor  about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which  of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?

No comments:

Post a Comment